New Delhi: The Narendra Modi government on Wednesday cleared a proposal to bring afresh the Triple Talaq Bill, which makes instant talaq a punishable offense with imprisonment of up to three years.
1. The bill will replace an ordinance, which the BJP-led government had brought in its previous tenure.
2. The bill proposes to declare the practice of Triple Talaq as void and illegal.
3. It also provides for payment of subsistence allowance to married Muslim women and dependent children.
4. The bill also provides for hearing the married women who have been given Talaq, before the accused is released on bail by the magistrate, said a statement issued by the Press Information Bureau after the Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
5. The bill was first introduced in the previous tenure of the government in Lok Sabha and was passed but could not be taken up by Rajya Sabha. Therefore, the Cabinet had to clear a fresh bill once again as the previous bill had lapsed with the dissolution of the previous Lok Sabha.