Bhubaneswar: Post-Cyclone Fani, criminals are roaming free in the Odisha capital, literally robbing the city residents of peace and sense of safety.
Notably, 50 incidents of loot and snatching have been reported in the last 20 days in Bhubaneswar. On average, that’s more than two incidents per day.
Most of the incidents were reported from Khandagiri, Saheed Nagar, Mancheswar, Tamando, Dhauli, and Airfield area.
Some of daring loots in the city are:
- Dacoits looted a Swift Desire car at gun point and allegedly kidnapped the car driver near Jayadev Vatika in Khandagiri police station area on Thursday night.
- A gang decamped with gold jewellery worth Rs 5 lakh after attacking a teacher, Suchitra Mishra, with a knife at Ghatikia near Khandagiri earlier this week.
- Looters sprayed a chemical at a software engineer, Biswaranjan Mohapatra, and looted gold jewellery worth Rs 8 lakh on a lane at Keshura Asutosh Nagar in Saheed Nagar police station area recently.
- Criminals looted Rs 35 lakh at gunpoint from the Indian Overseas Bank branch at Phulnakhara square in Balianta police station area.
- Some unidentified miscreants looted gold jewellery from a Naval officer’s wife and also misbehaved with her at Barabari under Khandagiri police limits.
- Cash, 800 gram gold, and costly items were looted from Prof Gopalkrushna Acharya’s house at Chakeisiani under Mancheswar police limits.
- Rs 2 lakh and gold jewellery were looted from one Saroj Panda’s house at Praci Vihar in Chakeisiani near Mancheswar.
- Gold jewellery worth Rs 15 lakh were looted from one Om Prakash Mishra near Pal Heights in Nayapalli police station area.
- Gold jewellery worth several lakhs were looted from one Debaraj Prusti at Kalajhari village near Mancheswar.