New Delhi: Union Minister and BJP leader from Odisha Pratap Sarangi on Monday made his maiden address in Parliament while initiating a debate on the motion of thanks to the President’s address.
Here are five quotes by Sarangi and other MPs that gained huge traction in the media.
1. “Those who do not love our country, those who do not accept the country’s integrity, those who do not accept ‘Vande Mataram’, do they deserve to live in India?” Sarangi said.
2. Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury (Congress): “Our Prime Minister is a very big salesman. We (Congress) have been unable to sell our product, the reason why we lost the elections”.
3. Azam Khan (Samajwadi Party): Hitting at the Modi government on the issue of attacks against minority communities, he said: “Our forefathers decided to stay here. They said this is our country. The graves of our forefathers are here … You (BJP) never had this choice (of going to Pakistan)”.
4. Saugata Roy (TMC): “Many people ask me why our party is not attending the dinner called by the Prime Minister and why we are not attending the meeting on one nation one election. If the Home Minister keeps sending advisories and expects us to attend their meetings, it will never happen”.
4. Ghulam Nabi Azad (Congress): Reacting to the latest Jharkhand lynching incident in Rajya Sabha, he said: “In ‘Old India’, there was no hatred, anger or lynching. ‘New India’ is one where humans are enemies of each other. You won’t be scared of animals in a jungle, but you’ll be scared of humans in a colony. Give us an India where Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs and Christians live for each other.