Christmas Cake: Bake It Quick With This Recipe
Bhubaneswar: Christmas is incomplete without the quintessential Plum cake, prepared with rum and dry fruits as the main ingredients.
However, plum cake requires a month-long preparation. Mayfair chef Nisar Ahmed said the dry fruits have to be soaked in rum for about a month to get the perfect plum cake.
If you have not prepared it yet, do not worry! Prachit Patro, a manager and baker at BOCCA cafe kitchen, shared the recipe of a cake you can bake tonight for a sweet end to your Christmas celebrations.
• Mixed dried fruit- 1 kg
• Zest and juice of lemon- 1
• Zest and juice of orange- 1
• Brandy- 150 ml
• Light brown sugar- 150 gram
• Soften Butter- 250 grams
• Plain flour- 175 grams
• Ground almond -100 grams
• Baking powder- ½ tsp
• Ground cloves- ¼ tsp
• Mixed spice- 2 tsp
• Almond flakes- 100 grams
• Vanilla extract/ essence- 1tsp
• Whole eggs- 4 nos
• Alcohol of your choice- 2-3 tbsp
• Preheat the oven at 160⁰C to 320⁰F
• Take a bowl and pour mixed dry fruits, zest of lemon & orange, juices of lemon & orange, brandy, brown sugar, soften butter in it
• Mix them well
• Take the mixture in a sauce pan and heat it in a medium flame
• After the mixture gets a boil, let it cool
• Shift the flour, grounded almond into the mixture and mix well
• Add baking powder, ground cloves, mixed spice, almond flakes, vanilla essence/extract and eggs to it
• Fold the mixture properly until the ingredients are mixed properly
• Grease a 9” round cake mould with butter and stick the parchment paper on the bottom and the sides to avoid the mixture from sticking to it
• Add the cake mixture to the mould. Tap the mould on to a hard surface, for removing the air bubbles from the mixture
• Then bake it for 50-55 mins in the oven at 160⁰C to 320⁰F
• Just to make sure the cake is evenly baked, take a toothpick and poke it till the bottom of the cake. If it comes out clean then the cake is evenly baked. If not then bake it for 7-10 mins more
• Remove the cake from the mould and poke the cake with the help of toothpick (Because the holes on the surface of the cake helps in spreading the liquor evenly). Brush the choice of alcohol onto the surface of the cake when it is hot
• Allow the cake to rest for at least 3-4 hours.
Besides, you can also drop in at the cafe to relish the plum cake and some other special Christmas food items!