Reaping Fruits Of Gold: Rewards Galore For Neeraj Chopra, And Counting
New Delhi: Considering the magnitude and nature of Neeraj Chopra’s Olympic feat at Tokyo on Saturday, it’s no wonder that state governments and private organizations are almost competing with each other to announce rewards for the gold medal-winning javelin thrower.
The 23-year-old from Haryana topped the completion on the penultimate day of the Tokyo Olympics by hurling the javelin to a distance of 87.58 metres.
Following are the rewards announced for Neeraj so far:
* Rs 2 crore from Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh
* Rs 6 crore from Haryana Chief Minister ML Khattar
* Rs 1 crore from Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
* Rs 1 crore from IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings
* Unlimited free travel for 1 year from IndiGo
* Rs 2 crore from edtech BYJU’S
* SUV vehicle (XUV 700) from Mahindra Group chairman Anand Mahindra.
Neeraj won India’s only gold of the Games. A number of cash rewards have also been announced for the other medal winners — weightlifter Mirabai Chanu, boxer Lovlina Borgohain, shuttler PV Sindhu, wrestler Ravi Dahiya, wrestler Bajrang Puniya and the men’s hockey team.