Still Not Linked PAN With Aadhaar? Hurry, Time Running Out; Know How To Do It
New Delhi: If you still haven’t linked your Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar card, time is running out.
The deadline, which has been extended several times, has now been set for March 31. Failure to meet the deadline may result in the PAN card becoming inoperative from April 1, the Centre has said.
A penalty of Rs 10,000 will also be imposed on those who fail to link PAN with Aadhaar, as per Section 272B of the Income Tax act.
Linking the two documents is not at all difficult. Here are different ways of doing it:
1. USING INCOME TAX DEPARTMENT’S PORTAL
* Visit income tax department’s e-filing portal: http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
* Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ section on the left
* Fill in the PAN number, Aadhaar number, name and the CAPTCHA
* Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ option; the income tax department will validate your details, thereafter your PAN-Aadhaar linking will be completed.
2. USING SMS SERVICE
The linking can also be done by sending an SMS from your registered mobile number. The format for the SMS is — type UIDPAN (12-digit Aadhaar number), put space (10-digit PAN) and send it to 567678 or 56161.
3. MANUAL LINKING OF AADHAAR & PAN
Visit a service centre for PAN card and fill the ‘Annexure I’ form. Attach the form with a copy of the PAN and Aadhaar cards. For linking the documents manually, a prescribed fee is charged, unlike the online linking which is free.