Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government has circulated a vision document among educational institutions asking them to concentrate on skilling of students of degree colleges to enhance their employability.
Under 5T ((Transparency, Team Work, Technology, Time and Transformation) action plan approved by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, universities and colleges have been asked to develop excellence in a few subjects/courses so as to rank as one of the best institutions of the country to attract outside students.
It also pitches for uniform transfer policy for teachers and non-teaching staff.
The guiding principles:
- Formation of a scholarship council.
- Monitoring teachers’ attendance (7-hour duty) through the biometric device.
- Students attendance of minimum 75% required for appearing end-term examination must be ensured strictly.
- Guidelines for distribution of free laptop to meritorious students should be changed by providing for preparation of merit list district/block-wise (not state-wise) so that meritorious students of all districts/blocks get benefit out of it. A provision for income criteria should be brought in to exclude students of well-to-do families being benefitted under the scheme.
- Scholarship guideline should also be changed by providing for preparation for merit list district/block-wise (not state-wise) so that meritorious students of all districts/blocks get the benefit.
- Students feedback on SAMS.
- Programmes for motivating teachers including exposure visit to outside the state/country.
- To activate career counselling cells in universities and reputed colleges.
- Coaching of Odia students for All India Service examinations. Guidelines to be changed to sponsor the students to take coaching and avail facilities outside Odisha.
- Provision for the incentive to colleges and teachers for getting accredited under NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) and also for moving to higher ranks.
- Establishment of “Mo College” platform whereby college alumni/other interested persons can contribute to the development of the college.
- To take care of the aspiration of students passing out Class-12 in educationally disadvantaged blocks to study degree courses, especially in Science.
- Guidelines for governing body/executive councils of colleges to be amended to ensure achieving the goal of quality education.
- System for quick redressal of grievances in Higher Education Department and Director, Higher Education (Vacancies to be filled up and PMU (Programme Management Unit) to be set up for grievance redressal).